A former South African president, Jacob Zuma, appeared in court on Friday to face corruption charges relating to a $2.5 billion arms deal.
The 75-year-old, whose scandal-plagued nine years in office were marked by economic stagnation and credit downgrades, faces 16 charges including fraud, racketeering and money laundering.
Mr Zuma denies any wrongdoing and is challenging the decision to prosecute the case, a dramatic development on a continent where political leaders are rarely held to account for their actions before the law.
Wearing a dark suit, a smiling Mr Zuma waved to crowds of supporters and reporters as he mounted the steps of the High Court in Durban shortly before 0700 GMT.
The speed with which prosecutors have booked his day in court is a sign of the loss of control Mr Zuma has suffered since his successor, Cyril Ramaphosa, became head of the ruling African National Congress (ANC) in December.
However, Mr Zuma still retains some popular support, especially in his home province of KwaZulu-Natal, where the case is being heard.
Heavily armed police in riot gear lined the square outside the court, as thousands of Mr Zuma’s supporters gathered to express solidarity with a leader they say is the victim of a politically motivated witchhunt.
Marchers, many clad in the distinctive yellow, green and black of the ANC, carried placards reading “Hands off Zuma” and performed the high-stepping toyi-toyi protest dance made popular in South Africa’s decades-long struggle against apartheid.
Businessman Siya Khoza said he admired Mr Zuma’s determination to bring in economic policies that he said were designed to spread the wealth in what remains one of the world’s most unequal societies.
“Whatever happens we will still support Zuma because we believe he brought us radical economic transformation and we still believe that him being in the ANC he will push for it,” said Khoza, wearing a waistcoat emblazoned in
ANC colors.
Mr Zuma’ son, Edward, told supporters at nearby park where several thousand people held an overnight vigil that his father was not worried.
“I would want to believe that as an innocent man, he is definitely not worried,” the domestic News24 agency quoted Edward Zuma as saying.
Mr Zuma, who was forced to resign by the ANC last month, was at the center of a 1990s deal to buy billions of dollars of European military hardware to upgrade South Africa’s post-apartheid armed forces.
The deal was mired in scandal and controversy from the start, with many inside and outside the ANC questioning the spending given the massive social issues, from health to education, Nelson Mandela’s party had to address after coming to power in 1994.
Fallout has cast a shadow over South African politics ever since. Mr Zuma was deputy president at the time. Schabir Shaikh, his former financial adviser, was found guilty and jailed in 2005 for trying to solicit bribes for Mr Zuma from a subsidiary of French arms company Thales.
The company is facing charges in the same case.
Charges against Mr Zuma were filed but then set aside by the National Prosecuting Authority shortly before he successfully ran for president in 2009.
The charges were re-instated in 2016.
Since his election nine years ago, his opponents have fought a lengthy legal battle to have the charges reinstated.
6 Apr , 2018 11:53 am Anti-Corruption,General,International,Politics
The Nigerian Senate, yesterday, queried the sum of N800 million budgeted for the purchase of security equipment by the Nigeria Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA).
The lawmakers made its position to the Acting Managing Director, Danladi Ibrahim, when he appeared before the Senate Committee on Marine Transport to defend the agency’s 2018 budget.
The panel wondered why the agency requested for N800 million in the 2018 budget for the purchase of security equipment, which was the same amount it received in the 2017 budget for the same purpose.
The committee noted that out of the N800 million, the agency had spent N790 million in 2017, which amounts to over 90 per cent of the appropriated sum.
Chairman of the committee, Senator Ahmed Sani Yerima, noted that the agency failed to provide details and specifications of how it plans to spend the money it requested for in the 2018 budget.
Yerima noted: “You said you want to do something; the same amount last year, the same amount this year. There are no details, no explanations, no form of specification whatsoever. This is unacceptable.”
Another member of the committee, Senator Mohammed Hassan, said Ibrahim and his team should be asked to go back and do the right thing.
He said: “You are doing construction, the locations are not known. You have a project of N1.2 billion which you requested for in 2017, you have received over 90 per cent, you requested for the same amount in 2018. The right thing should have been for you to request for the balance.”
On his part, NIWA boss told the committee that the security equipment was not meant for one place alone. He also said the 2017 approval was the first time the authority was receiving fund for capital projects.
The committee, thereafter, asked the representatives of the agency to go back and do the right thing.
6 Apr , 2018 11:25 am Anti-Corruption,Politics
Corruption, Inland waterways, news, Nigeria, Nigerian senate, politics, security vote, Senate
President Muhammadu Buhari’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, has disclosed that the president’s recent approval of the release of $1 billion for the purchase of military equipment is not just to fight Boko Haram.
After presiding over a meeting with the National Security Council at the Presidential Villa on Wednesday, April 4, 2018, the Minister of Defence, Mansur Dan-Ali revealed that the president approved the release of the fund which was withdrawn from the Excess Crude Account by the Federal Government.
“I can inform you that of recent, our leader, President Muhammadu Buhari, gave approval for the purchase of more equipment for the military, worth $1 billion,” Dan-Ali said.
While speaking on Channels Television on Thursday, April 5, 2018, Adesina said the fund is not just to intensify the military’s fight against Boko Haram but to fight other forms of insecurity in the country.
He also insisted that contrary to what the critics are saying, President Buhari followed due process in approving the release of the fund.
He said, “It couldn’t have been done before the approval, the approval had to come like it came and then Mr President having approved it, sends a communication to the National Assembly. That’s the right procedure.
“That fund is not meant to battle Boko Haram, it is not Boko Haram fund; it is fund to battle insecurity. Boko Haram is not the only form of insecurity we have in Nigeria.
“As we speak now, the communication to the National Assembly is about ready. Those who have been venting spleen and flexing muscles over the matter should just have bothered to make enquiries from the Senior Special Assistant to the President on National Assembly Matters.
“There is not timing that is not good for security. Every time is security time. Those who are reading political meanings to it, it is just very unfortunate they play politics with everything and they will play politics with the very life of Nigerians which is very bad.
Controversy has trailed the release of the fund as the opposition People’s Democratic Party (PDP), and especially Ekiti State governor Ayodele Fayose, has kicked against the process that led to the withdrawal of the fund.
While the Federal Government has insisted that the Nigeria Governors Forum (NGF) had approved the withdrawal of the fund in December 2017, Fayose said he had no input in the decision.
The Buhari-led government has been accused of trying to loot the $1 billion to fund the president’s re-election bid in next year’s election as they failed to see the reason in using the enormous amount to fight a terrorist group that the government has claimed several times has been defeated.
6 Apr , 2018 11:16 am Anti-Corruption,Politics
Boko haram, Buhari, Corruption, government, military, Nigeria, politics, President, terrorists
The Board of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has suspended six directors of the agency indefinitely.
The suspension of the affected officials by the newly-inaugurated board was in connection with the ongoing probe of the finances of NEMA by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.
The financial years being reviewed by the anti-graft agency are from 2011 to 2015.
Those placed on suspension are the Director of Finance and Accounts, Akinbola Hakeem Gbolahan; Ag. Director, Special Duties, Umesi Emenike; Director, Risk Reduction, Mallam Alhassan Nuhu; Pilot in-charge Air Ambulance and Aviation Unit, Mamman Ali Ibrahim; the Chief Maintenance Officer, Ganiyu Yunusa Deji; and the Director of Welfare, Kanar Mohammed.
The EFCC had in a report to the Presidency recommended the disciplinary measures in order to enable it conduct unhindered investigation and have access to vital records.
Based on the EFCC’s recommendation, the Board of NEMA approved the suspension and directed the management to give effect to its decision.
The Board also mandated the management of NEMA to cooperate fully with the EFCC in the ongoing probe.
6 Apr , 2018 11:03 am Anti-Corruption,General,Politics
A South Korean court on Friday sentenced the impeached President Park Geun-hye to 24 years in jail with a fine of 18 billion won (17 million U.S. dollars) for corruption.
The court found Park guilty of bribery over a scandal that exposed webs of corruption between political leaders and the country’s conglomerates.
The court ruled that Park colluded with her old friend, Choi Soon-sil, to receive tens of billions of won from major conglomerates such as Samsung and Lotte to help Choi’s family and fund non-profit foundations owned by her.
Park, 66, has denied wrongdoing and was not present in court.
Prosecutors initially sought a 30-year sentence and a 118.5 billion won (112 million dollars) fine for Park, after indicting her on charges that included bribery, abuse of power and coercion.
6 Apr , 2018 10:44 am Anti-Corruption,International,Politics
The operatives arrived at Ms. Ofili-Ajumogobia’s Ikoyi, Lagos home at 7 a.m. and attempted to search her property, but were denied access. Read More…
8 Dec , 2016 3:35 am General
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission is looking for Mrs. Moji Ladeji, the sister of Ekiti State Governor, Ayodele Fayose, over a N200m house located at 44 Osun Crescent, Read More…
20 Nov , 2016 6:09 am General
It is more trouble for Justice Sylvester Ngwuta of the Supreme Court, as the Federal Government, yesterday, Read More…
17 Nov , 2016 5:02 am General
Muiz Adeyemi Banire, national legal adviser of the All Progressives Congress (APC), has quit his position following an allegation of N500,000 involving him. Read More…
8 Nov , 2016 6:15 am General
Justice Rita Ofili-Ajumogobia of the Federal High Court is in fresh trouble for allegedly receiving N5m from a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, The PUNCH learnt on Monday. Read More…
8 Nov , 2016 5:55 am General
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has released Reuben Abati, former spokesman to ex-President Goodluck Jonathan. Read More…
5 Nov , 2016 3:53 pm General
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has released a former Minister of State for Defence, Senator Musiliu Obanikoro. Read More…
4 Nov , 2016 8:00 pm General
The Rivers state chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has alleged that Nyesom Wike, governor of Rivers state, and Godswill Akpabio, former governor of Akwa Ibom, Read More…
4 Nov , 2016 6:34 am General
The National Judicial Council, NJC, has suspended seven senior judges arrested in October by the State Security Service for alleged corruption. Read More…
4 Nov , 2016 6:11 am General
Ibanga Akpabio who is current Deputy Chairman of the People’s Democratic Party in Akwa Ibom state has been arrested by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission in connection with fraud. Read More…
2 Nov , 2016 3:23 pm General
The National Judicial Council has said it is not part of its statutory responsibilities to hand over judges who are accused of corruption to anti-graft agencies for investigation and prosecution. Read More…
1 Nov , 2016 2:39 pm General
The Federal High Court Abuja Division was on Monday, asked to issue an order of mandamus compelling President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately sack the Minister of Transport, Read More…
1 Nov , 2016 8:36 am General
A Nigerian senator has condemned his colleagues for appropriating to themselves the control over the two anti-graft agencies, the Code of Conduct Bureau, CCB, and the Code of Conduct Tribunal, CCT. Read More…
31 Oct , 2016 7:14 am General
Muiz Banire, the national legal adviser of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), has denied that he ever bribed a Nigerian judge. Read More…
30 Oct , 2016 6:43 am General
The former Special Adviser to ex-President Goodluck Jonathan on Media,Mr. Reuben Abati,has been granted bail by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). Read More…
29 Oct , 2016 8:19 am General
Agents of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) currently investigating cases of judicial corruption have told SaharaReporters that their review of banking Read More…
29 Oct , 2016 8:11 am General
Indications emerged on Friday that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission was intensifying moves to gather evidence against the former First Lady, Patience Jonathan, for a possible prosecution. Read More…
29 Oct , 2016 8:02 am General
A Federal High Court in Abuja on Friday refused to grant an application filed by a Lagos-based lawyer, Mr. Olukoya Ogungbeje, seeking an order restraining President Muhammadu Buhari, Read More…
28 Oct , 2016 5:01 pm General
The Military yesterday rejected former President Goodluck Jonathan’s claim that his administration bought warships and aircraft. Read More…
27 Oct , 2016 3:56 am General